Thursday 17 April 2014

My Plunge into Amigurumi



I have been working with a lot of amigurumi lately; stepping out of my comfort zone and trying something different.  It all started when my sister-in-law announced that she was pregnant.  I wanted to make something special for her that no one else would.  My mother-in-law knits, so I figured she'd be getting a lot of clothes, hats, blankets...the usual baby knit goods.  I started looking up gift ideas and I came across this super cute pattern for an airplane.  I crocheted one up and loved it.  I crocheted 3 more and turned it into a baby mobile.  I wish I had taken a photo of it.  It was so adorable.  I will be asking my sister-in-law if she could send me a photo so I can post one!

With that in hand I came across a course on Craftsy all about amigurumi and how to create patterns for toys from drawings.  My son begged me to take the lesson because he wanted me to make some toys out of drawings of his, so I decided to take the plunge and learn how to create my own amigurumi patterns.  I loved this course.  It was so eye opening.  I had no idea that's how patterns are created.  I've already got a few of my own I've started.  One is from a drawing my son made!!  I loved the course so much I enrolled in the second course 'how to create amigurumi woodland animals', but I haven't had time to start it yet.

Currently I have been working on some other amigurumi toys (patterns others have created).  A Charmander doll...er...toy for my son, which is about half completed.  A Pokeball pattern I created (I will be posting my first free pattern soon!) for my younger son and some Plant vs. Zombie (computer game) inspired toys for both my boys.  I have finished making 2 monsters and an Owl Amigurumi and a Bunny Softie Amigurumi for my nephew.

It has been a busy few weeks!


No comments:

Post a Comment